It seems that I haven’t published a “Quiz of the Month” since August 2018. Sorry about that. But now it’s back!
This quiz has to do with books and movies. You may find that you’ve seen some of this information in past posts. As always, you can find the answers here.
- What was the setting for Daphne du Maurier’s short story “The Birds”?
- This well-known 1947 Broadway play and the 1951 movie that was based on it take place in New Orleans and feature a woman who has “always depended on the kindness of strangers.” Name the play and its author as well as the famous male actor who had the leading role in both the Broadway play and the movie.
- Name the first book that featured Hannibal Lecter. Who was the author?
- Robert Block’s best-known book is based on the real-life 1950s murderer Ed Gein. Name the book and name the character who represents Gein in the 1960 movie that was based on Block’s novel.
- Who wrote The Stepford Wives? What well-known author penned the screenplay?
- What was the setting for H. G. Wells’ 1898 novel The War of the Worlds?
- What Nobel prize winning southern author wrote movie scripts in Hollywood for a while due to his need for money?
- What was the first name of the second Mrs. de Winter in Daphne Du Maurier’s novel Rebecca?
- The first movie based on Ian Fleming’s James Bond character was Dr. No in 1962. Name the first James Bond novel to be published.
- The Philadelphia Story, written by Philip Barry, began as a romantic comedy on Broadway in 1939. The 1940 film, which was based on the play, starred Katherine Hepburn in the same role she had in the Broadway play. In 1956 it was re-imagined as a musical comedy film. What was the name of the film, who composed the music and lyrics for it, and who took the Hepburn role in the movie musical?
- Both the Broadway musical and the film, The Sound of Music, were based on what book? Who was the author?
- This 1910 novel by French writer Gaston Leroux has been filmed many times – beginning with a silent movie in 1925 – and was the basis for a well-known 1986 musical. Name the book and the composer of the music for the musical.
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is a 1968 science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. What is the name of the movie that was made from this book?
- This 1939 novel about a family of “Okies” who travel to California to flee the dust bowl was made into a 1940 movie starring Henry Fonda. Name the book and its author and, for extra credit, cite the source for the book’s title.
- Name the famous British actress who won her only Best Actress Academy Awards for her starring roles in two movies set in the Southern United States.